Independent Study: GOVT 496

GOVT 496 is an opportunity to work one-on-one with a faculty member on a specific topic as an independent study class. You research this topic in-depth and write a research paper. You can apply up to 6 credits of GOVT 496 to the major. Permission and senior status (90 credits) are required. A GOVT 496 can be 1, 2 or 3 credits.

To register for GOVT 496, approach a Schar School faculty member, whose research is in the area you want to work on. Ask this professor whether she or he would be interested in working with you on the specific topic you have in mind. It helps if you have already taken a class with this faculty member, so they know who you are.

Use the GOVT 496 Contract Form to scope out your project with the faculty member and obtain their approval.

Email the completed contract form to for next steps.